North Carolina: Hit and Run Settlement Against a Car with No Insurance

If you’re involved in a hit-and run-accident, reaching a settlement can be challenging, especially if the driver has no insurance. North Carolina law requires all drivers to remain at the scene of an accident until the police arrive. If you’re involved in an accident and the other driver flees, there are several important things you must do despite the level of injury or damage.

What to Do if You’re Involved in a Hit and Run in North Carolina

If you’ve been involved in an accident and the other driver immediately takes off, you’ll want to do the following:

Call the Police

Even though the other driver has left the scene, the accident should still be documented. The police will document the accident as a hit and run which is going to be helpful for you down the road. You should not try to chase after the driver them yourself. This is unsafe and can lead to another accident. Leave this to the police.

Get Medical Treatment

Some people make the mistake of not getting medical treatment after a car accident because they may feel fine at the moment. Sometimes, injuries take time to manifest themselves. This is why you want to get checked by a medical professional. While you may not have any visible injuries, there may be internal injuries that need to be addressed. Having your medical treatment documented will not only help you heal but will also help your case.

Gather Evidence

While the police will gather any evidence at the scene, if you’re able, you can also take pictures and document anything you think will help your case. Any damage, visible injuries, even road conditions can be photographed as evidence.

The police will also take your statement and ask about anything you may have observed that can help them find the driver. You’ll want to give information about the vehicle and anything you can remember about the driver’s physical appearance.

Contact Your Insurance Company

You’ll want to contact your insurance company soon after the accident. Many insurance companies have a window of time for you to do so. When you tell your insurance company you’ve been involved in a hit and run in North Carolina, they will likely discuss uninsured motorist coverage.

In North Carolina, drivers are required to carry uninsured motorist coverage. Most policies include it with other required coverage. The purpose of this type of coverage is to help you when the other driver does not have insurance or when you’ve been involved in a hit-and-run where the other driver is not identified.

It’s important to note that you can only get money from an insurance settlement up to the limit of the uninsured motorist policy of your policy.

What is Considered a Reportable Accident?

A reportable accident in North Carolina is defined as one that results in:

  • Property damage of $1,000 or more
  • Property damage to a vehicle that was seized in an impaired driving incident
  • Personal injury or death

Keep these factors in mind if you’re involved in a hit and run in North Carolina or any other type of accident.

Your Rights as a Hit and Run Victim in North Carolina

If you are involved in an accident with a hit-and-run driver, you may be able to file a claim with your own insurance company under your uninsured motorist policy.  But if your claim exceeds the limits of your policy, you may need to sue for damages.

While investigators do everything they can to identify hit and run drivers, sometimes you may never learn who caused the accident. When this happens, your case will be between you and your insurance company only.

When the driver is identified, there may be a personal injury claim as well as a criminal case. A conviction in a criminal case can help your personal injury case by showing that the other driver was at fault.

Contact a Car Accident Attorney Today!

If you’ve been involved in a hit-and-run accident and are seeking legal help, contact a car accident attorney today. For more than 20 years, we have been helping injured clients in Cary, Raleigh, Apex, Holly Springs, Wake Forest, and across North Carolina get the compensation they deserve. Call us today at (919) 228-4487 or fill out the form below to discuss your case.

Schedule a Consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.